A few months ago we noticed a message that stood out on our internal platform. Basically, it stated: "I'm back". Naturally, it happens every now and then that employees explore their horizons but still return to bol.com.
What the episode covers
However, the number of software engineers that turn to indie game developer and come back, is quite limited. That sparked our curiosity since for a vast group of engineers it is some kind of dream job to develop games. That must have something to do with the large number of gamers among software engineers.
There are some interesting learnings and experiences in our conversation with Roy. Listen and check what is in it for you.
- Have you always been intrigued by creating (computer) games?
- How did you prepare for your adventure to make games for a living?
- What were the obstacles you had to overcome trying to make a living crafting a computer game?
- What did you learn?
- Please share also some examples of how you learned this?
- What will you take with you now that you are back at bol.com?
- How is it to be back at bol.com?
- Roy Kok – Software engineer at bol.com in Buying and former Indie game developer.